So Christmas week was a busy and exciting week around the Fleischman house. It started out last Sunday with the arrival of the first of 11 guests. 3 of my sisters - Kiersty, Megan and Brittany arrived as well as Seth my bro in law. So of course we had a late night of the home tour, Blue Bell ice cream with turtle cookies and catching up.
Monday found the 4 of us touring the Round Rock outlet mall and picking up some sweet steals. Brit found a great dress at Banana Republic for $34 that was all silk. SCORE!!! I found a great dress at JC Penney for $32 and was totally excited. The boys found a new Wii game to entertain themselves. Then cousin/adopted Lund sis BrieAnn, her hubby Jake and baby Cora made it late afternoon. We again spent the day touring the house, catching up and yet again - eating great food. We had decided to split up the days everyone was here between the 5 Lund girls and BrieAnn. So Monday was Thai food courtesy of Kiersty. It was apparently pretty good because James even gave it an acceptable. Quite a feat for those of you that know him. :-)
Tuesday morning (not so early considering we were up until 3ish the 2 previous nights) found us heading downtown to go to the LBJ Museum. They had a space exhibit (and it was free) that we thought sounded fun. Megan found herself a boyfriend who won't talk back....
Britt became a green beret. 
Kiersty helped out with the "Race to Space"
Cora and BrieAnn became great pilots. The pic didn't come out that great, but I loved Cora's face.
We saw an eerily realistic LBJ thing (?? not sure what to call it) that talked to you and moved while playing funny recordings of LBJ telling stories.
And Brittany found her new calling as a mannequin.
James and I then introduced them all to Katz' Deli which is this great kosher deli downtown. And for dinner it was BrieAnn's black bean tacos. YUMMY!!!
Mom, dad, Kalli (sis) and Steve (bro in law) all arrived between 10 pm and 1 am, only to find out that the house they were going to be staying at was not available for the night. I was given the wrong key so they instead crashed on my dining room floor for the night until we could get the right one the next day. Always an adventure.
We spent Christmas Eve doing all kinds of things. Mom and Kiersty and Kalli were making aprons for everyone. They found these super cute retro patterns and we all bought fabric and that was the majority of the day.
Steve was kind enough to let Kalli open her gift a day early so that she could find out it wasn't a fish tank like he had been telling her all week.
Here is Kalli's finished product.
The boys went to see Yes Man to avoid all this girly stuff. :-) And then came home to play more of the Wii puzzle game. It took 4 of them to solve portions of this. When Steve got here he was immediately attacked to find out which of the 4 of them took physics 2 last and could be a better problem solver. See how hard at work they were?
And then we had some yummy lasagna for dinner - Thanks Meg and Brittany, made sugar cookies - as if we hadn't eaten enough - even Cora jumped in to help.
And I started baking for Christmas day. We had chocolate pecan pie, pumpkin caramel cheesecake, and caramel apple pie. And we ended the night with White Christmas to really get us in the spirit of things. And Cora let dad hold her and play with her and laughed at his funny faces. :-)
Christmas Day was a pretty laid back day. We ate a late brunch of Grandma Carlene's famous stuffed french toast and buttermilk syrup (THANKS GRANDMA FOR SHARING THE YUMMY GOODNESS!!!) and we finally started opening gifts around noonish. We always start out with the youngest and work our way up, so Cora was up first. She really wasn't sure what to do but enjoyed tearing up the paper more than the gifts probably.
Here is BrieAnn holding her best present of the year. Bows and all. As well as a fabulous necklace - Thanks Steph.
I got a garmin so I will stop calling James for directions when I don't prepare before leaving the house.
Seth got a soccer sweatshirt from Kiersty and his face says it all.
Brittany started a wrapping paper war with Seth and Steve...She just got beaned in the head twice in a row by them.
Jake for all of his spare time, now has a Rubiks cube to help occupy it.
And Steve got some new goggles so he can be totally pimp out on the slopes in 2 weeks.
Mom got a new shirt to wear for pictures and of course for work too.
Dad got I believe the only John Wayne movie he doesn't already own. (now what do we get him. :-)
James got some new Wii games to entertain him when not busy with his car.
Megan got some new movies to entertain her roomates with.
And then there was the end of Hurricane Christmas '08!
We had a great Texas Christmas menu of brisket, mashed potatoes, homemade mac and cheese, and of course yummy pies. I will be trying to lose the weight for months to come!! And we did family pics. I'll post those later as this is already super long!
Friday morning BrieAnn and Jake and baby Cora had to head back home to Oklahoma for the Johnson family Christmas. We were sad for them to go, but so glad they made it and we got to hang out with them. The rest of us piled in to the cars and headed for Fredericksburg. It is a great little German, touristy town about an hour and a half from here. James and I love going there. Great food, great shopping and lots of fun. We took everyone to our fave restaurant - Friedhelm's Bavarian. It is fantastic food. I introduced them to schnitzel, spaetzle, rye bread and they loved it!! We then tried to go to the George H. W. Bush museum/Admiral Chester Nimitz museum of the Pacific Theater of WWII, but it was under construction. So instead we walked around the memorial wall. So many people gave their life for that. It is such a wonderful reminder of all those people were willing to sacrifice, and it makes me wonder how we can't comprehend a sacrifice for the war we are in now. I really liked this plaque.
We saw dad's hero, Ronald Reagan.
We found the plaque for one of the ships Grandpa Roy served on. The USS Monterey.
And we found a friend of Grandpa Irl's who dad even met one time. He served on a ship with Grandpa Irl, but the plaque is for another ship he spent time on. The Arisan Maru was a Japanese ship that was sunk by US Ships and was carrying over 1800 POW's to do slave labor in Japan. Of the POW's 9 survived and Grandpa Irl's friend Robert S. Overbeck was one of those 9.
We came home Friday night and Steve made us all Ukranian borscht. James was unsure, but being the great person he is, tried it with a brave face ;-) and then realized it wasn't as bad as he was expecting and actually said it was good. Yea Steve! That is a high compliment around our house.
We saw everyone except Steve and Kalli off early Saturday morning. Kiersty, Seth and Megan headed for Tucson so that Megan could be dropped off, and then they made it all the way to about Kingman before finishing the rest of their journey back to Provo on Sunday. Mom, Dad and Brittany headed to Phoenix. Britt is spending the rest of her Christmas break at home before hitching a ride back to Provo.
We kept Steve and Kalli for a few extra days showing them the stuff they had missed earlier in the week.
It was a great week for us to all catch up, get to know each other again, add a new little one into the mix and remember how lucky we all are to have a great family.
Tuesday, December 30, 2008
Christmas Week
Posted by Mhari at 10:03 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
Sounds like a great Christmas:) Wish I could of had some of that brisket! Have a Happy and Safe New Year:) oh, and that was Andy's family...
Looks like you all had a lot of fun! Hope your New Year is just as great.
Wow! Maybe I should have come over. I so want to make an apron like that.
I just have to defend myself, I did not start the wrapping paper war, I believe that was Seth and Steve, I only fought back when they wouldn't stop! And I nailed both of them in the head!
Fun times! I wish you all were still close enough to see in person! :) At least we have the blogging/internet world to keep us connected! :) Your family is continuously growing and adding new members! I can't wait to see the new family pics! :) Happy New Year! Love Elizabeth!
I want an apron too! Love all the LBJ pics - I need to take my kids to that. Looks like you had a fabulous Christmas. Happy New Year!
Funa family fun! Reading your blog made me hungry! you guys ate some yummu food!
Looks like a blast! It was fun to see parts of your house in these pics... can't wait to see it in person tomorrow.
Post a Comment