Saturday, January 15, 2011

What is a first down?

As I have mentioned numerous times Nebraska football and college football in general reigns in our house from August to January. I am not supposed to plan anything on Saturday during at least the Nebraska game because I know that James will not be in attendance. Makes having a social life rough but I guess it is a good thing I have grown to enjoy football now that I know what it is all about.
It took me until our 3rd or 4th year of marriage and quite a few games attended and watched - to finally ask what a first down was. I know, I know crazy that I had no idea what this was but growing up in a family of girls and with a dad that was not into football didn't exactly give me much opportunity to learn this. So we had just gone to see Nebraska and Baylor play and on the way home I drop the question - what is a first down? James looks at me like I have 3 heads and asks if I am crazy. I told him I always hear them talk about this at the games but have no idea what it means. So he proceeded to spend the next hour and a half as we drove back to Austin from Waco, explaining football to me. I became enlightened and suddenly understood why football was enjoyable.
So the whole point of this post is we watch lots of football and wear our scarlet and cream and yell "Go Big Red" and "Husker Power" a lot. And Andrew will now get to learn all of that too.
Mommy and Andrew showing their spirit

He didn't want to smile...just eat his fingers.

Grandma Fleischman and Aunt Linda sent Andrew his own Nebraska hat after we went to visit in October so now he and Daddy can match.

He is not so keen about having anything on his head but we're working on it.


Intently trying to get at his toy - I got a jump on his Christmas shopping this year so he just played with it in the box until Christmas lol.

Big smile to show off those teeth. He has 7 now.

3 comments:

Britt said...

Get over it Mhar...JK...but really, I don't always have time to post but I still read...how often do you post on mine? I would be highly upset if you stopped writing on here because half the time I can't see pictures of my favorite Texans anywhere else!

Kierst said...

Yes I read it and I'm glad u get football now :)

Meg said...

I agree! Yes I read it, and do you post on mine? huh? do ya? I'd have to actually post things for to to write about first..... hahaha